Foreword to UTRI Swim Workouts 2017

Home Forums Swim Workouts Foreword to UTRI Swim Workouts 2017

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi everyone, a quick note:

I know how important having our workouts posted can be for some of you guys so I wanted to apologize for ending the routine last term. After having taken into account/experiencing the points of view of my fellow coaches/admins/instructors/etc, I felt that not posting was my best course of action until our current board took a minute to talk with Nick Snow, our man in the office overseeing U of T Clubs in order to receive some clear/unified guidance. They did so promptly and now we’re here!

I just want to take a moment to appreciate 2 important points that my peers have brought up in regards to posting.

1) Safety – Please be extra mindful of your safety when you use our workouts alone. For example, it can be especially cumbersome trying to complete 100 repeats on a fast interval during a lane swim. I am also a strong advocate of hypoxic sets and doing this activity alone might be a bit precarious. Our workouts are designed for our team usage of the pool, so please, please prioritize the safety of yourself and those around you especially when you utilize our workouts in a public space.

2) Intellectual Property – with my current understanding of this topic, I personally don’t mind sharing as there are virtually an infinite amount of ways that I could train you. You already know that some of our sets I specifically include for individuals who I expect will be there on the day! There is no secret formula I’m trying to protect. At our level of commitment, my main objectives are to keep your body moving smoothly, to encourage you to be mentally engaged with your training, and to ensure that the pain you endure is not one that’s indicative of an impending injury. These objectives can best be met when the people involved in the creation of the workout are present in its execution.

Having the bunch of you present at practices is a huuuge part of what makes our club swims unique and enjoyable. If you guys aren’t around, (and obviously in many cases life gets in the way of play), I feel that we lose something intangible, yet important.

Anyway, thanks for reading, please gimme a boost by letting me know in the comments below that you read this thang over. (That way I know you guys are actually making good use of our swim postings and it’ll encourage me to continue)

– James

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks for posting the workouts James! I will for sure use them alll the timeπŸ˜€

Katie Wittmann
      Participant

Thanks for sharing this, James. I’m sad that work keeps me from the Tuesday and Thursday swims, but you’ll see me nearly every Sunday! πŸ™‚
      I appreciate seeing the workouts so I can try parts of them on my own time to make up for all the missing Tuesdays and Thursdays.
      Thank you!

Anonymous
      Inactive

thanks James, these will come in handy those times I cannot make it to the pool. Nothing replaces being there with the club though.

Edward Ing

I read it. Not sure whether that means you are posting workouts or not. I will never do the hypoxic sets myself, cause I don’t like doing them at all.

Anonymous
      Inactive

πŸ‘

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Foreword to UTRI Swim Workouts 2017’ is closed to new replies.